Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] contrib/subtree: reduce recursion during split

From: Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2026 10:06:15 +0100

Junio C Hamano writes ("Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] contrib/subtree: reduce recursion during split"):
> So after this message the thread went dark (except for a side
> discussion about rewriting subtree in Rust, which I do think it is a
> good direction to go in the longer term).

I'm indeed still working on this.  Given other things on my plate it
will be months rather than weeks before I have anything anyone one
might want to use.

> While I do agree that avoiding bash-isms in the main part of Git and
> sticking to vanilla POSIX has merit, this particular one seems more
> like an artificial limit imposed by dash than sticking to the POSIX
> as the common denoninator, at least to me.

I would be in favour of switching to bash, making bash a dependency
for this script.  We could use the env trick to support platforms that
don't have it in /bin.

Ian.

-- 
Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>   These opinions are my own.  

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.