Subject: How do I get the correct modification status after running git diff?

From: jateeq <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:40:00 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I have added a new file to a working repository, and would like to run a
diff between the last commit and whatever is int he working tree, along with
an identification of what kind of a modification it was. Currently, I am
adding all files to the index with the -N option, and then running a git
diff --name-status. This works well for existing files that have been
modified or deleted, but fails if a file is rename or is added. Does anyone
know of the right way to do this? The commands I am using to add and diff
newly added files are as follows in the sequence shown.

Commands:
echo "this is a new file" > file1.xml
git add -N .
git diff --name-status

The output is :
M   file1.xml

I want the status to show A for the newly added file (and R for renamed
files but I don't know if that's possible).

Thank You,
Jawad.
-- 
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/How-do-I-get-the-correct-modification-status-after-running-git-diff--tp27782430p27782430.html
Sent from the git mailing list archive at Nabble.com.