Subject: Re: [PATCH v1] replay.c: support replaying root commits

From: Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2026 11:24:57 +0800

Hi Junio,

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> 'git replay' does not support replaying root commits, as indicated by
>>> the FIXME comment. If a user attempts to replay a root commit, the 
>>> 'die()'
>>> in 'replay_revisions()' will be called.
>> 
>> Please be aware of your surroundings.  I think there are multiple
>> topics that work on this file and among them there is a topic to
>> address the same issue, if I am not mistaken.
>> 
>> The list archive is your friend, for example, you can try these:
>> 
>>     https://lore.kernel.org/git/?q=replay+root
>>     https://lore.kernel.org/git/?q=dfn%3Areplay.c+%22root+commit%22
>> 
>> Thanks.
> 
> Oops, sent without completing what I needed to say.
> 
> After you find out that other people are working in the vicinity,
> some of them even may be working on the same itch you had, instead
> of silently letting them continue, join the conversation and help
> them polish their work.  You can give reviews, you can supply test
> cases, you can polish their documentation, etc.
> 
> Let's make this a team effort, not authors completing against each
> other, or authors working on their own thing without paying any
> attention to what others are doing.
> 
> Thanks.

Oops, looks like I missed a few threads. Before I started, I actually
searched the mailing list to see if anyone else was working on this,
maybe I used the wrong keywords.

Thanks for pointing out. I'll join the discussion. ;)

Regards, Yuchen