Subject: Making git work with new remote server

From: amillican <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 08:59:34 -0700 (PDT)

0  vote down  star

I am the CM person for a small company that just started using Git. We have
two Git repositories currently hosted on a Windows box that is our
all-purpose Windows server. But, we just set up a dedicated server for our
CM software on an Ubuntu Linux server named "Callisto".

So I created a test Git repository on Callisto. I gave its directory all of
the proper permissions recursively. I had the sysadmin create a login for me
on Callisto, and I created a key to use for logging in via SSH. I set up my
key to use a passphrase; I don't know if that could be contributing to my
problems? Anyway, I know my SSH login works because I tested it through
puTTY.

But, even after hours of trials and head scratching, I can't get my Windows
Git bash (mSysGit) to talk to Callisto for the purposes of pushing or
pulling Callisto's git repository files. Obviously, when trying a push, I've
been trying to log into my Callisto account using SSH.

I keep getting "Fatal error. The remote end hung up unexpectedly." And I've
even gotten the error that Git doesn't recognize the test repository on
Callisto as a git repository. I read online that the "Fatal error...hung up
unexpectedly" is usually a problem with the server connection or
permissions. So what am I missing or overlooking here? And why doesn't a
pull using the git:// protocol work, since that only uses read-only access?
Group and public permissions for the git repository's directory on Callisto
are set to read and execute, but not write.

If anyone could help, I would be so grateful. Thank you.
-- 
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Making-git-work-with-new-remote-server-tp28436896p28436896.html
Sent from the git mailing list archive at Nabble.com.