Subject: Re: [PATCH] t7605: use test_path_is_file instead of test -f

From: Lucas Seiki Oshiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2026 16:04:59 -0300

Hi, Mansi!

> Replace old-style 'test -f' path checks with the modern
> test_path_is_file helper in the merge_c1_to_c2_cmds block.
> 
> The helper provides clearer failure messages and is the
> established convention in Git's test suite.
> 
> These instances were found using:
>  grep -rn "test -[efd]" t/ --include="*.sh"

I don't think this information is relevant to be placed in
the commit description. Perhaps it would better placed after
the scissors mark (the --- after the message) which is sent
to the mailing list but ignored in the final commit.

Btw, since we're in Git we can use Git's special powers to
do that. This is equivalent to your command line:

   $ git grep 'test -[efd]' -- 't/*.sh'

And this may be more useful, separating the output per file
and using pathspecs to filter the tests (files that begin with
"t") from other helper scripts inside t/:

   $ git grep --heading --break 'test -[efd]' -- 't/t*.sh'

I wrote a blog post about git-grep and other tools [1] that
may be useful for you.

> - test -f c0.c &&
> - test -f c1.c &&
> - test -f c2.c &&
> + test_path_is_file c0.c &&
> + test_path_is_file c1.c &&
> + test_path_is_file c2.c &&

The code itself looks good to me!

[1] https://lucasoshiro.github.io/posts-en/2023-02-13-git-debug/#git-grep