Subject: Re: [GSoC][Draft Proposal v3] Refactoring in order to reduce Git's global state

From: Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2026 22:03:35 +0800

Hi karthik,

Thank you so much for the review.

> Well it depends, we already have `struct repo_settings`, and individual
> settings within the `struct repository` struct. It would be a very case
> by case basis, to understand which variables fit where.

That makes sense to me. I will update the approach to emphasize a 
case-to-case analysis & mapping variables to their rightful existing homes.

> Yes, we also have CI jobs for GitLab and GitHub which do this already,
> you can run them locally too, meson makes it very easy to do this too:

Thank you for providing the information above. I have integrated this 
into the V4 proposal. It indeed looks much more robust in terms of 
memory leak auditing and other checks.

> I think you're missing a reference in this sentence.

Sorry that was a typo. While writing the proposal, I went back to the 
source code to confirm the function name here, but I forgot to add it 
back in LOL. I meant 'editor_program' :)

> What is the 'core context container' here?

Emmmm...It was referring to the 'struct git_env' idea (or something like 
that), which is flawed as you mentioned earlier. Will revise the 
timeline: the bonding period will be spent categorizing the targeted 
global variables and determining their appropriate stuctural 
destinations (via RFC patches? I don't know if it's proper behavior).

> Thanks for the proposal :)

Will incorporate all these refinements and send out V4 within ~3 days (I 
have midterm tests these days). Thanks again for your time and patience ;)

Regards,

Yuchen