Subject: Re: WARNING! Object DB conversion (was Re: [PATCH] write-tree performance problems)

From: Jon Seymour <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:11:10 +1000

On 4/20/05, Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> I converted my git archives (kernel and git itself) to do the SHA1 hash
> _before_ the compression phase.
> 

Linus,
 
 Am I correct to understand that with this change, all the objects in
the database are still being compressed (so no net performance benefit
now), but by doing the SHA1 calculations before compression you are
keeping open the possibility that at some point in the future you may
use a different compression technique (including none at all) for some
or all of the objects?

jon.

[ reposted to list, because list post was bounced because of rich text
formatting ]