Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Add a module (repo-log.c) to log repository events.

From: Jon Seymour <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:04:49 +1000

On 6/16/05, Jon Seymour <[email-masked]> wrote:
> A variety of log formats would be possible but the default log format
> I intend to use is:
> 
> for object events:
> 
>      yy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss(+/-)oooo SP object-type SP sha1  LF
> 

Further enhancements along these lines:

      yy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss(+/-)oooo SP object-type SP sha1 [ SP name ]  LF

This will require more invasive instrumentation but when a blob is
written it will allow the name with which the blob was known to be
logged, if that is known. Of course, this name may not survive over
time, but it was accurate at the time of the the repo event.

The objective of doing this, of course, is  to allow a git user to
quickly find a blob or tree that was accidentally "lost", by scanning
the repo log.

jon.