Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH V1] diff-tree: integrate with sparse index

From: Victoria Dye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 11:47:03 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Victoria Dye <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Note that, if you want to make
>> that change in this series, it should be done in a separate patch _before_
>> this one (since dropping the deprecated setup infrastructure isn't really
>> part of the sparse index integration).
> 
> Or after this one, perhaps?  I agree that the clean-up opportunity
> you found is very much unrelated to the work to teach diff-tree to
> take advantage of the sparse index.

You're right, it doesn't need to come before this patch (or belong to this
series). *If* the cleanup was done in this series, my thought was that it
would be (subjectively) better to end the series on the sparse index
integration. However, it doesn't really make a practical difference whether
the cleanup is done before or after this patch, since it's functionally
unrelated to the sparse index work. 

Thanks for the clarification!