Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] add-patch: edit the hunk again

From: Rubén Justo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2024 19:27:34 +0200

On Tue, Oct 01, 2024 at 11:03:10AM +0100, Phillip Wood wrote:

> I'm afraid I still don't think that changing the default is a good idea as
> it is often very difficult to correct a badly edited hunk.

This series isn't about how hard it is to fix a badly edited hunk.

> In [1] you say you discarded that idea because the wording was too verbose

Not really.  I still believe that regaining the original intention of
"no" is a better option than adding new options to the interface.

I am not opposed to that change, I just think it's an unnecessary
complication.

A user who experiences problems with a badly edited hunk, edited by
themselves, will probably encounter similar issues as they would when
editing the original hunk.  I think.

I don't think reconstructing a patch is a realistic (sensible)
scenario that we should be concerned about.

The small change in the message, in this iteration, adds a bit of
clarity for them, I think:

> > @@ -1286,11 +1287,17 @@ static int edit_hunk_loop(struct add_p_state *s,
> >   		 * of the word "no" does not start with n.
> >   		 */
> >   		res = prompt_yesno(s, _("Your edited hunk does not apply. "
> > -					"Edit again (saying \"no\" discards!) "
> > +					"Edit again (saying \"no\" discards your edits!) "
> >   					"[y/n]? "));

> 
> [1]
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]