Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] meson: wire up gitk and git-gui

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2025 23:25:02 +0100

On 19/08/2025 09:18, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have upstreamed support for Meson into both gitk [1] and git-gui [2].
> This small patch series wires up support in Git.

Just a quick FYI, but I think git-gui needs some changes equivalent to
commit 586919c3b2 ("meson: fix installation when -Dlibexexdir is set",
2025-07-16).

[I don't understand the difference between subdir() and subproject(), so
I'm not quite sure how to proceed, but I guess git-gui is a separate
project root and 'options' will be passed as-is with a new context?]

gitk doesn't install anything in the libexecdir, so should not need a
similar change.

> To the best of my knowledge this is the last missing piece for feature
> compatibility with our Makefile. As such, from my point of view, I think
> that we can stop treating the Meson build system as experimental and
> instead officially endorse it. Once merged I'll thus send another patch
> series that updates our documentation in various different places to
> also mention how to build Git with Meson.

Hmm, that seems a little soon to me. ;) I still have quite a few 'misc build
updates (part #3)' patches to send to the list (yes, I have been a bit tardy;
sorry about that).

Also, let's not forget the 'quoting nightmare' [0], which has still not been
addressed.

ATB,
Ramsay Jones

[0] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/