Subject: [PATCH 2/4] doc: git-push: clarify "where to push"

From: "Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2025 20:40:20 +0000

From: Julia Evans <[email-masked]>

Signed-off-by: Julia Evans <[email-masked]>

Be clearer about what we're describing ("which repository" instead of
"what to push"), and start with a positive "try X, then Y, then Z"
instead of a negative ("if X is not specified..").

Signed-off-by: Julia Evans <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-push.adoc | 8 ++++----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-push.adoc b/Documentation/git-push.adoc
index e73b64f61fd0..5c934486c33d 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-push.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/git-push.adoc
@@ -22,10 +22,10 @@ DESCRIPTION
 Updates one or more branches, tags, or other references in a remote
 repository from your local repository.
 
-When the command line does not specify where to push with the
-`<repository>` argument, `branch.*.remote` configuration for the
-current branch is consulted to determine where to push.  If the
-configuration is missing, it defaults to 'origin'.
+To decide which repository to push to, Git uses the `<repository>`
+argument (for example `git push dev`), then if that's not specified the
+`branch.*.remote` configuration for the current branch, and then defaults
+to `origin`.
 
 When the command line does not specify what to push with `<refspec>...`
 arguments or `--all`, `--mirror`, `--tags` options, the command finds
-- 
gitgitgadget