Subject: Re: [regression][bisected] git-subtree remote desynchronization

From: Colin Stagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2026 15:05:52 -0600

On 1/26/26 08:12, Christian Heusel wrote:

> On 26/01/25 11:14PM, Colin Stagner wrote:
>> I have made some progress on a fix, but I have not yet achieved 100% hash
>> equivalence across the board. The bisected patch will likely be reverted
>> while I work on a more permanent solution.
> 
> I guess that is for you and Junio to judge, but rushing a fix sounds
> like unneccesary risk for an optimization.

Chris,

I've CC'd you on some proposed changes to remove the git-subtree 
"should_ignore_subtree_split_commit" logic.

I have tested both of my patch series [1], [2] against every 
subdirectory of your aur.git repo [3]. I checked the split of every 
top-level directory as follows:

     for d in *
     do
       test -d "$d" || continue;
       echo >>split-results "$d  $(git subtree split -P "$d")"
     done

I compared the results to git 2.43.7 and found no changes. I would 
appreciate some more eyeballs and testing on this series to make sure it 
doesn't introduce any breakage.

Thanks,

Colin

[1]: [email-masked]

[2]: [email-masked]

[3]: https://github.com/christian-heusel/aur.git