Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/9] notes: support an external command to display notes

From: Siddh Raman Pant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2026 04:12:41 +0000

On Thu, May 21 2026 at 06:42:00 +0530, brian m. carlson wrote:
> > Assisted-by: Codex:gpt-5.5-xhigh-fast
> 
> Just a question here: was this written in whole or in part by Codex, or
> was it just used as a reference to ask questions?  I ask because the
> style of notes-external.c differs quite a bit from the style we use (for
> one, the horizontal rule comments) and we have this in

AI tools typically don't generate comments in code like in this series,
you can see by trying out for yourself. Each comment is hand-written by
me. Sorry, I'll remove those lines in v2 after this discussion.

AI was used for review, and providing the initial skeletal, which I
changed significantly.

> SubmittingPatches:
> 
>     The Developer's Certificate of Origin requires contributors to certify
>     that they know the origin of their contributions to the project and
>     that they have the right to submit it under the project's license.
>     It's not yet clear that this can be legally satisfied when submitting
>     significant amount of content that has been generated by AI tools.
> 
>     [...]
> 
>     To avoid these issues, we will reject anything that looks AI
>     generated, that sounds overly formal or bloated, that looks like AI
>     slop, that looks good on the surface but makes no sense, or that
>     senders don’t understand or cannot explain.

Please tell me why this change is a slop and doesn't make sense.

If I wanted to mislead here, I would not have used the "Assisted-by"
trailer, which is now being used in kernel land:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html#using-assisted-by

There have already been commits in the git.git history having the
Assisted-by trailer.

> I'll note that it also has a lot of global variables, which are common
> in the codebase but we're trying to move away from, 

Is there a new facility to store the config without a global variable?

If the issue is the number, I can make a housing struct if you want.

> and it's more
> verbose in commenting than we'd normally see elsewhere in the codebase.

I added comments to explain the code clearly as it's being followed,
especially since this is a new feature and I wanted the intent to be
clear.

If you could tell me which comments to remove, that would be great.

Thanks,
Siddh