Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 0/2] Move libgit.a sources into separate "lib/" directory

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2026 10:13:31 -0400

On 4/21/2026 1:55 AM, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2026 at 08:03:44AM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts on the earlier parts of my message. I think
you're moving in the right direction and I don't have further comments.

>> Did you consider moving these files, too?
> 
> My initial version was moving around remaining ".c", ".sh" and ".perl"
> files, as well. These are (almost) all related to top-level commands
> commands, so I was handling those by introducing a new "bin/" directory
> and moving them in there.
...
> So I still lean into the direction of doing things one step at a time,
> because it focusses the discussion, and every subsequent step is
> significantly smaller. But if it helps I wouldn't mind also going the
> extra mile.

Upon reconsideration, the files that are left probably have less churn
in the core project, so are less problematic to shift to a new directory
as an independent update.

I think the forks are more likely to have issues with these core files,
especially when they add new commands in git.c. But it's still probably
better to reduce risk wherever possible and this is one way to isolate
the risk.

Thanks,
-Stolee