Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.48.1 and friends

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2025 22:05:23 +0100 (CET)

Hi Randall,

On Tue, 14 Jan 2025, [email-masked] wrote:

> On January 14, 2025 1:44 PM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>
> > my apologies, I only realized _now_ that I had forgotten to update
> > `GIT-VERSION-GEN` in v2.47.2, it still has `DEF_VER=v2.47.1` (but all
> > other mentioned tagged versions have a correct `GIT-VERSION-GEN`). I
> > am very sorry about that.

[I fixed the formatting, not sure how it got screwed up, it had verbatim
mbox headers and inconsistent `>` prefixes in the quoted lines.]

> Oh gosh. Glad I did not hit the "build" button.

Well, depending what that "build" button does when you hit it, it might
not even affect you, have you tried it or at least looked at what
`GIT-VERSION-GEN` does? `DEF_VER` only sets the default version when
building e.g. from a tarball.

When building from a Git checkout, though, it uses the tag and everything
is fine, the output of `git version` will say that this is 2.47.2:
https://github.com/git/git/blob/v2.47.2/GIT-VERSION-GEN#L15

Also, you can always hard-code the version by writing it to a file
called... wait for it... `version`, before calling `make`.

> I will hold off packaging that version until this is resolved. It is
> definitely needed by the NonStop community.

I'm not sure what you're implying by "until this is resolved". I hope that
you don't intend to suggest to re-tag and force-push v2.47.2 because
that's kind of a serious no-go, those tags have been relayed to quite a
few people well in advance of today during the carefully-orchestrated
coordination of the embargoed release process. You cannot pull that
v2.47.2 tag.

In any case, if you don't want to build v2.48.1 instead, and if you cannot
build v2.47.2 from a Git checkout, at least that `version` file method
should work for you and you don't need to put pressure on anybody else to
get the version that is so definitely needed out to the NonStop community.

Ciao,
Johannes