Subject: Re: Handling renames.

From: Zach Welch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:22:16 -0700

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> 
>> Although Linus is correct in that an SCM doesn't *have* to handle 
>> this, it really feels like shooting for mediocracy to me.  We might
>>  as well design it right from the beginning.
> 
> 
> No. git is not an SCM. it's a filesystem designed to _host_ an SCM, 
> and that _is_ doing it right from the beginning.

I imagine quite a few folks expect something not entirely unlike an SCM
to emerge from these current efforts. Moreover, Petr's 'git' scripts
wrap your "filesystem" plumbing to that very end.

To avoid confusion, I think it would be better to distinguish the two
layers, perhaps by calling the low-level plumbing... 'gitfs', of course.

Cheers,

Zach Welch
Superlucidity Services