Subject: Re: Re-done kernel archive - real one?

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 06:21:06 +1000

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Ok, nobody really objected to the notion of leaving the kernel history
> behind for now, and in fact most people seemed to basically agree. So with
> that decided, the old kernel testing tree was actually perfectly ok,
> except it had been build up with the old-style commit date handling, which
> made me not want to use it as a base for any real work.
> 
> So I re-created the dang thing (hey, it takes just a few minutes), and
> pushed it out, and there's now an archive on kernel.org in my public
> "personal" directory called "linux-2.6.git". I'll continue the tradition
> of naming git-archive directories as "*.git", since that really ends up
> being the ".git" directory for the checked-out thing.
> 
> I'm not going to announce it on linux-kernel yet, because I don't think
> it's useful to anybody but a git person anyway. Besides, I don't actually
> know how happy the kernel.org people are about this distribution method
> and whether it ends up being a horrible disaster for the mirroring setup. 
> 
> Peter made some noises about /pub/scm, which makes sense, and would be a
> better place than my public tree. Apparently there are other places that
> are willing and able to host things too, so we'll see.
> 

I would suggest something like /pub/scm/kernel/git/<people> on 
kernel.org.  This is easy to do, and being outside the "mirrored 
worldwide" set shouldn't cause anyone any issues.

/pub/linux/... is mirrored worldwide and that might cause some 
consternation.

If this is OK with everyone I'll try to set them up (I'm at LCA at the 
moment, so I might have limited connectivity at any one particular 
moment in time.)

	-hpa