Subject: Re: Merge with git-pasky II.

From: Kenneth Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:53:14 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 01:29:05AM CEST, I got a letter
> where Herbert Xu <[email-masked]> told me that...
> 
>>I get the feeling that it isn't that bad.  For example, if we did it
>>at the points where the blobs actually entered the tree, then the cost
>>is always proportional to the change size (the number of new blobs).
> 
> 
> No. The collision check is done in the opposite cache - when you want to
> write a blob and there is already a file of the same hash in the tree.
> So either the blob is already in the database, or you have a collision.
> 
> Therefore, the cost is proportional to the size of what stays unchanged.
> 

?? now I'm confused. Surly the only cost involved is to never write over 
a file that already exist in the cache and that is already done NOW as 
far as I read the code. So there is NO extra cost in detecting an collision.