Subject: Re: Mercurial 0.3 vs git benchmarks

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:35:37 -0700

Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> 
>>Directory hashing slows down operations that do linear sweeps through 
>>the filesystem reading every single file, simply because without 
>>dir_index, there is likely to be a correlation between inode order and 
>>directory order, whereas with dir_index, readdir() returns entries in 
>>hash order.
> 
> 
> thank you for the awareness training. Than mutt should be slower, too.
> Maybe I should repeat that tests.
> 

Only if you read every single file in each directory every time.  I 
thought mutt did header indexing and thus didn't need to do that.

	-hpa