Subject: Re: PATCH[0/4]: Allow tree-id to return the ID of a tree object

From: Philip Pokorny <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:11:37 -0700

Petr Baudis wrote:

>Could you please functionally split and sign off your patch?
>  
>
Apologies, I'm still a bit new to LKML etiquette...

>Also, I'd prefer not to have the sha1 completion logic duplicated; what
>about just having commit-id take a parameter not to validate its id?
>Actually, that's ugly too. I think the cleanest solution would be to
>reintroduce the cg-Xnormid, now to only really do the _common_ stuff -
>basically everything up to the typecheck (exclusively) in commit-id.
>  
>
OK, so following this will be a new set of patches (I assume you mean 
one patch per file changed when you asked for a "functional split") that 
re-introduce cg-Xnormid, and then convert commit-id, tree-id, and 
parent-id to use the new core.

In re-writing these, I've put great effort into making the scripts *not* 
exec a sub-shell or process, so the bash constructs may look strange. 
I'm sure Linux can exec very quickly, but bash parses and executes even 
faster when it doesn't have to fork.