Subject: Re: Trying to use AUTHOR_DATE

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 17:38:47 -0700

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
>>No.  You cannot get 61.
> 
> I was told it would be possible if two leap seconds were needed in some
> point of time. Have never occured yet, and maybe never will.
> 
> Well, it seems it would need two seconds a month (at least 13 leap seconds
> a year) -> not in this century if ever, and it wouldn't be UTC anymore.
> 

It's certainly not permitted by the current UTC definition, which only 
allows 4 leap seconds per year.  61 comes from a typo in an old version 
of the POSIX standard.

>>You can, however, get jumps from 58 to 00.
> 
> Correct, that would be a deletion. Not yet tried, either, but they say
> it's possible.

... and permitted by the current UTC standard.

	-hpa