Subject: Re: [PATCH Cogito] cg-init breaks if . contains sub-dir

From: David Mansfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:31:11 -0400

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Jan-Benedict Glaw:
> 
>>>Please don't change that without talking to Linus.
>>
>>I won't.  You haven't seen a patch from me "fixing" this, too.  *I*
>>consider this as a defect, but that doesn't mean that I'll force others
>>to take this view, too.  But maybe I'll talk Linus into this when he's
>>back from his trip.
> 
> 
> That would be a good idea; I do support dropping (or at least relaxing)
> that rule. For excluding unwanted files, I'd suggest using a .git/ignore
> file with nice shiny patterns (*.a *.o *.swp ...) inside -- git already
> supports that anyway.
> 

Speaking of which, for a large project, (such as the kernel) it is a 
pain in the butt if exclude lists only consider the 'basename' of the 
file, and cannot include any path matching information.

For a long time there were generated files in the kernel which had the 
same names as non-generated files somewhere else in the kernel tree 
(under a different path).  Making an automated 'take latest patch from 
Linus, apply, commit' was really a pain because of this.

Is there/will there be support for path matching in the ignore files?

If the answer is no, but people like the idea, I could look into it.

David