Subject: Re: gitweb wishlist

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:34:37 -0700

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Fri, 20 May 2005, Kay Sievers wrote:
> 
>>Somehting like this?:
>>  http://kernel.org/git/?p=git/git.git;a=commitdiff;h=de809dbbce497e0d107562615c1d85ff35b4e0c5
> 
> 
> Btw, at least for me, this looks much more interesting than the "commit" 
> thing, and maybe it would make sense to make the summary links be to the 
> "commitdiff" instead of the "commit"?
> 
> Or is it just so much more expensive to generate, that we want to not have
> people go there normally? (hpa cc'd, since he may have some insight into
> whether this is likely to be an issue or not? It's not like git-diff-tree
> is that expensive, but it _does_ end up doing a "diff" against each
> changed file, of course, modulo any caching of results).
> 

What I ended up doing for the diff viewer on kernel.org is that every 
page that's generated gets stuffed in a cache (locklessly indexed by a 
SHA-1 of a canonicalized form of the query); the pages people actually 
see are then simply pulled from the cache.  This caching was a just 
enormous win.  In the case of the diff viewer, the header is generated 
each time, since I allow the user to select a custom style sheet (and 
don't want to cache versions for each style sheet), but that's a trivial 
detail.

	-hpa