Subject: Re: gitweb wishlist

From: David Mansfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:19:39 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Tue, 24 May 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
>>Will fix. This will take another six minutes of testing ;)
> 
> 
> Almost eight minutes. Still, the final average was 8 changesets per
> second, which sounds pretty damn good to me, actually.
> 
> Anyway, I've checked in the fix for the quoting, and I now get the right 
> number of revisions, ie
> 
> 	git-rev-tree $(ls .git/refs/heads/) | wc -l
> 
> returns the same "3757" that cvsps reports. 
> 
> However, "git-fsck-cache --unreachable" reports 102 unreachable blobs,
> which worries me. It's really blobs only, which is strange: it implies
> that we did the "git-update-cache" but not a "git-write-tree" (or that the
> git-write-tree failed for some reason, but that sounds even stranger,
> since we did successfully do all the commits)
> 
> The only way I can see the unreachable blobs happening is if one of he
> ChangeSet entries in cvsps mentions the _same_ pathname twice for a single
> ChangeSet. David, is that possible?
>

Sounds possible.  Unfortunately, the 'uniqueness' of a commit actually 
doesn't exist.  It's all smoke-and-mirrors.  In order to disallow this 
(which I think need to do) I'd need to use some commit member 
information, and add some heuristic: if this file is already in the 
commit, then this MUST be a different commit.  Unfortunately, it's 
possible that the 'member' already in the commit is the wrong one and 
this is the right one, which just sounds horribly ugly to me.

I'll think on it.

David