Subject: Re: [PATCH] Many new features for cg-diff and cg-log

From: Dan Holmsand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:03:24 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:28:05PM CEST, I got a letter
> where Dan Holmsand <[email-masked]> told me that...
>>Sorry about the monster patch, but I wanted to get it to you quickly...
> 
> 
> Well, it can always go to 0.11.3 or something.  I probably wouldn't take
> it to the tree just before release anyway even if you sent it split up,
> since due to the size of the changes, it's bound to have some hidden
> bugs. ;-)

Nah... Seriously, that's a wise decision. I just saw that you we're 
working on cg-log, and wanted to save you some potential doublework by 
sending what I've got in a hurry.

I have, however, been using this myself for quite some time, so it's 
reasonably well tested.

>>[PATCH] Many new features for cg-diff and cg-log
> 
> 
> Ok, this is really too big. Could you please split it up some? Also,
> I've been hacking on cg-log too (and will make it use git-diff-tree -v
> yet this evening), so you'll need to update it to apply to the latest
> version.

Sure. I'll try to split it up, somewhat (but the changes *are* pretty 
inter-related...).
> 
> I like what's inside (at least from the description), though! (Well,
> mostly. But I'll comment on specific patches. No major objections.)
> 
> 
>>- Selection of ranges by date or maximum number of commits to show.
> 
> 
> Ad date, isn't that already supported now? The -r arguments can be a
> date. Ad maximum number of commits, what'd be its use?
> 

The new date thing doesn't work very well for cg-log: it's hardcoded to 
HEAD. That means that attempts to do, say, "cg-log -rorigin:-1day" will 
not at all do what you want. Not to mention "cg-log -m -r-1day". And I 
think it's a little clearer to separate the two: "cg-log -rorigin 
--max-age=-1day" (there's a short option too).

Max number of commits is perhaps not all that useful, unless you want to 
save cg-log output to file, for example. But it's easy to do :-)

Oh, and I forgot to mention the "pickaxe" support. "cg-log -S foobar" 
uses git-diff-tree -S to "search in diffs". Really very, very useful.

/dan