Subject: Re: git-prune-script eats data

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:25:01 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> And now I realize what the problem is. It's _not_ that "git prune" has 
> removed too much, like the obvious implication would be: it's that "git 
> prune" has not removed _enough_.

Makes a lot of sense.  Looking at the repo, I did indeed forget to copy 
the tags.

> So the trivial fix is to just remove the lines from fsck-cache.c that say
> 
> 	/* Don't bother with tag reachability. */
> 	if (obj->type == tag_type)
> 		continue;
> 
> and that will fix it for you.

Sounds good, thanks.

> It's exactly the same thing that Jens had. You have a tag object for the 
> v2.6.11-tree thing, but you don't have the reference to the tag.

Ref email just sent:  Kernel hackers expect tags to come with the pull. 
  Four kernel hackers, and counting.

Just accept that our brains are wired that way ;-)  We like having 
Linus-blessed-and-pushed-to-kernel.org tags from linux-2.6.git public 
tree follow us around.

	git-pull-script --tags $url

should accomplish that.

	Jeff