Subject: Cogito vs. Git (was: Mercurial vs Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers)

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:51:24 -0400

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Cogito's only unusual requirement (well, expectation) is that HEAD is a
> symlink to .git/refs/heads/master, and .git/refs/heads/master should
> reflect your current head. I will try to ease up this restriction so
> that things will mostly work even if you just have HEAD. I think that
> most auxiliary commands (e.g. cg-log - you just have to love it) should
> work on any sensible git tree (but I didn't test it - yet).

So you're saying that aside from that one solveable issue, I could use 
low-level git tools, third-party over-git tools, and cogito, 
interchangebly on a single repo without the tools becoming confused? 
That's cool, and should be made more clear in the cogito readme. I was 
under the impression that cogito was tracking all kinds of extra meta 
magic stuff that git tools wouldn't keep updated.

If I were using cogito, I probably wouldn't want to use the low-level 
git stuff directly, but I might want to use (or maybe even write) some 
other over-git tools.

You might also consider removing the "Core GIT" section from the README, 
because I think it increases the confusion between the two.

Cheers,

Kevin