Subject: Re: git/gitweb - feature request: Add description to the branches.

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:33:49 -0400

Santi Béjar wrote:
[...]
> 
>         One thing I'm missing is a way to describe a branch. It can be
>         done in the $GIT_DIR/description, the first line for the whole
>         repository and the rest for the branches. So description file
>         for the git.git repository could be:
> 
> [description]
> The core git plumbing
> pu: Proposed updates
> rc: Release candidate
> todo: Todo list
> [/description]
> 
>         And it can be added to the gitweb tool.

Having somewhere to describe the intent of a branch would be a useful 
convention. But I think the descriptions should be in separate files; 
one for each branch and one for the repository as a whole.

That way it would be possible to have long, multi-line descriptions of 
the repository and branches with the tools displaying just the first 
line unless more information is requested; like gitk and gitkweb do with 
commit messages.

An unrelated gitweb feature request: include a timestamp near the top of 
the projects page so that I don't have to try to remember when I last 
reloaded the page. TZ=UTC preferred.