Subject: Re: git-ls-new-files & make patch, pull, etc.

From: Jeff Carr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 13:42:24 -0700

On 08/22/2005 10:15 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff Carr <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
>>Something simple like the perl script at the bottom would be useful for
>>showing files that haven't been added via git-update-cache --add already.
> 
> 
> If I am not mistaken, you just reinvented:
> 
>     $ git ls-files --others
> 
> in a very expensive way.  Notice your `find . -type f` that does
> not prune .git directory upfront.
> 
> Also you may want to take a look at:
> 
>     $ git ls-files --others --exclude-from=.git/info/exclude

Yes, you are right -- I did reinvent the above poorly :)

I also was using a perl script to parse the output of git-whatchanged to
set the datestamps on the files to the last modified time. If I remember
correctly, there was some threads at the beginning of git about how
datestamps were not accurate so there was no point in setting them(?) Or
maybe I mis-understood. In any case, sometimes it is useful for me
because I just want to look at what files I changed today or yesterday
or something to that effect. Sometimes in the kernel/Documentation
directories it is useful because you can see what documentation was
done/changed this year. Sometimes that's nice if you are looking for new
things you might not know much about; recently I was digging around in
the I2C stuff to try to figure out if I could read the right temperature
sensor on the smbus on a machine. Anyway, I'll just use that but perhaps
there is also a "correct" way to keep timestamps?

BTW, for what it's worth, you can't package git under debian sarge
because asciidoc doesn't support "-b xhtml11". I pulled it from sid and
it packaged it fine. Just an FYI. I emailed the asciidoc maintainer for
what it's worth.

Thanks a lot,
Jeff