Subject: Re: cg-update (cogito-0.13) bug: changed heads

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:23:43 -0700

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 11:01:25PM CEST, I got a letter
> where "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]> told me that...
> 
>>I just found a bug in cogito-0.13, at least to the best of my 
>>understanding of the situation.
>>
>>Simplified, the problem looks like this: two sides, A and B, pull from 
>>repository C.  The head of this pull we call 0.
>>
>>Now commit 1 is added to A.  B pulls commit 1 from A, not though C. 
>>Later, A pushes commit 1 to C.
>>
>>Next time B tries to pull from C, cg-update will not advance 
>>refs/heads/origin, even though C now has a new head.  Thus, B will think 
>>that C is in a different state than it actually is.
> 
> 
> So, C surely has its head updated? Does cg-update "fail" silently, or
> does it utter anything?
> 

C has its head updated, yes.  cg-update says "Branches already fully 
merged."

	-hpa