Subject: Re: [RFC] GIT Repository Annotation Convention

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:32:34 -0400

Chuck Lever wrote:
> yay!  are you also proposing some git tools to deal with these?  it 
> would be great to have some version control (keep these like generation 
> files so we can see the history of revisions).
> 
> A Large Angry SCM wrote:
>> GIT Repository Annotation Convention
[...]

I'm not proposing any new tools, just a convention that existing tools 
or tools that others may create can adopt to provide information to a 
repositories users. Some existing tools that could use the annotations are:
	git-branch
	git-show-branch
	gitweb
There are likely others.

Like any other file under $GIT_DIR, these files are not automatically 
versioned. Rather, each repository maintainer, needs to decide how a 
repository's meta-data (project meta-meta-data) is tracked or generated.