Subject: Re: [RFC] GIT Repository Annotation Convention

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:24:48 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>>A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>>Naming and Directory Structure
>>>>------------------------------
>>>>Annotations are named by appending ".txt" to the basename of the
>>>>repository component it describes, and by appending ".dir" to each
>>>>directory patch component leading to the repository component from
>>>>$GIT_DIR, and by prepending "annotations/" to the annotation pathname.
>>>I suspect you can do the same without .dir but only with .txt.
>>Think about a directory containing directories "foo" and "foo.txt":
> 
> And where do you see foo.txt under $GIT_DIR/ hierarchy?

Are you saying I can't name a branch "foo.txt"? Or have the following
branches?

$GIT_DIR/refs/head/WidgetSoft/Blue
$GIT_DIR/refs/head/WidgetSoft/Red
$GIT_DIR/refs/head/WidgetSoft.txt/Blue
$GIT_DIR/refs/head/WidgetSoft.txt/Red