Subject: Re: rsync deprecated but promoted?

From: Brian Gerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:47:16 -0400

Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 04:41:54PM CEST, I got a letter
> where Brian Gerst <[email-masked]> told me that...
> 
>>The other problem with HTTP vs. rsync is that the HTTP fetch will walk 
>>the entire tree down to the root to verify it has every object.  While 
>>this isn't a bad thing it's usually unnecessary when it's all in one big 
>>pack file.
> 
> 
> Is that really the case? I believe it will walk only to the original ref
> and assume everything before is complete. (Actually, it doesn't even
> seem to honor the --recover patch anymore, which isn't so nice
> especially in case some objects disappeared from your database and you
> would like to get them back. Happenned to me.)

I was talking about the initial pull.  It does stop at the previous head 
for updates.

--
				Brian Gerst