Subject: Re: First cut at git port to Cygwin

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:07:10 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
>>There are still funnies.  In particular, Cygwin and Samba handle 
>>symlinks differently, so you can't trivially share a repository via 
>>Samba.  Linus' "symbolic refs" changes should eventually take care of that.
> 
> 
> I just sent out "The other side of Linus' symbolic refs" patch,
> saying that Cygwin capable of doing symlink would probably made
> it irrelevant.  But it may not be a waste after all, considering
> what you said above.
> 

After looking at it some more, what Samba does when talking to a host 
that doesn't support Unix extensions is that it simply resolves the 
symlink, in effect turning it into a hard link.  That might be all git 
needs.  The reverse still doesn't work, though.

	-hpa