Subject: Re: [howto] Kernel hacker's guide to git, updated

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:17:25 -0400

Horst von Brand wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>Thanks for all the comments.  I just updated the KHGtG with the
>>feedback I received.  Go to
>>
>>	http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html
>>
>>and click reload.  Continued criticism^H^H^Hcomments welcome!
> 
> 
> - To know the current branch, "git branch" is enough (the one '*'-ed)

Click reload, this is already mentioned.

> - rsync(1) a repository is dangerous, it might catch it in the middle of
>   a update and give you an incomplete/messed up copy. Repeat rsync until no
>   change, perhaps?

Usually that's just unlucky.  I have caught kernel.org in the middle of 
a sync once, maybe twice.

> - I understand "git checkout -f" blows away any local changes, no questions
>   asked. Not very nice to suggest that to a newbie...

I constantly run into problems if I -do not- use the "-f" flag.  I 
habitually use it at all times, now.

Thanks,

	Jeff