Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-fetch --tags: deal with tags with spaces in them.

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:47:12 -0700

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> 
> We can disallow whitespace, and we *have* to disallow at least newline 
> due to the file format; I believe we should disallow all control 
> characters (0-31, 127-159.)
> 

Actually, disallowing anything 128 and above means knowing the encoding 
system.  If we enforce UTF-8, we should presumably disallow at the very 
least U+FFFE and U+FFFF too.

C99 contains a list of Unicode characters allowed in C identifiers.  I 
believe we should allow those characters (plus at a minimum -+.#:@) as 
well, but I'd much rather we didn't make those kinds of decisions for 
the user.  If we have *specific* characters we can't tolerate we should 
rule them out (like control characters), but even that occationally 
leads to major frustration on the part of the user: "why can't I use '.' 
in tag names in CVS"?

	-hpa