Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] Re: auto-packing on kernel.org? please?

From: Dirk Behme <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:33:21 +0200

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>I have real users of my git repos who can't just download a 100MB pack file in
>>an hour, it takes them many hours.

Seems that I'm one of these users (but using an other repo).

Pack files are very nice saving bandwith and disk space. But what I 
dislike is that I often have to download same information twice: Remote 
.git/objects/* repo grows and I update my local repo daily against this. 
Then once a month/release/whatever .git/objects/* are packed into one 
file. This new pack file then is downloaded as well, but most/all of the 
information in this file is already in my local repo and downloaded 
again. Something like

- detect that there is new pack file in remote repo
- check what is in this remote pack file
- if in local repo no or only few .git/objects/* are missing, download 
the missing ones and create an identical copy of remote pack file using 
local .git/objects/*. Don't download remote pack file.
- remove all local .git/objects/* now in pack file

would be nice.

Or is this already possible? Or do I misunderstand anything?

Dirk