Subject: Re: gitweb.cgi

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:24:18 -0700

Kay Sievers wrote:
> 
>>Most of the hits we get are either the 
>>gitweb front page or the gitweb rss feeds, and it's eating I/O bandwidth 
>>like crazy.
> 
> I tested some stuff on these boxes and 30 stat() calls alone take app. 2 seconds
> on these boxes cause of I/O load ... :)
> 

Welcome to my hell :)

I set up mod_cache (which I didn't know about, silly me) and so far it 
seems to work and has produced a tremendous decrease in load and 
improvement in response time.  I do, have, however, a request.  There 
are some gitweb pages which are more likely to change than others; in 
particular, some gitweb pages will *never* change (because they directly 
reflect immutable git data.)

If gitweb could produce Last-Modified and Expires headers where 
appropriate, it should improve caching performance.

	-hpa