Subject: Re: gitweb.cgi

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:30:17 -0700

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> It really doesn't work very well with the "front page" though..
> 
> Doing a "Save page as.." shows that it's not a huge page: it's roughly 700 
> lines long and 57kB in size, but pressing the reload button (or just going 
> somewhere else and coming back immediately) takes 45 seconds to reload for 
> me.
> 
> Trying again shows that it _is_ cached if you press the reload button 
> immediately again, but I haven't quite figured out how long the cache 
> timeout is. It seems to be around one minute (from some very preliminary 
> tests it's more than 25 seconds, but less than a minute and a half).
> 

The cache timeout is set to 300 seconds, however, that's per server, of 
course.

> Considering that apparently the load is enough that it takes 45 seconds to 
> generate (scary in itself), is should clearly be cached for more than one 
> minute. More like ten minutes or half an hour, especially since mirroring 
> any content changes takes longer than that anyway.

The latency for an I/O operation on the kernel.org servers is positively 
scary.

	-hpa