Subject: Re: LCA2006 Git/Cogito tutorial

From: "Martin Langhoff (CatalystIT)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:59:06 +1300

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 19:51, Petr Baudis wrote:
> 
>>(ii) You say:
>>
>>        - Very fast stupid merge
>>            ... and very smart, slow merges when stupid won't do
> 
> He might be referring to manual merge which is indeed as smart as it gets :)

Almost. No, truly, I'm very impressed with git-merge.sh, which first 
does the simple git-read-tree -m, and it can then try several merger 
scripts to resolve the index. The "smartest" merge resolver we have 
follows renames, but we could have language-specific and 
project-specific resolvers, for instance.

If you combine the coolness of git-merge.sh with the fact that cg-merge 
right now is buggy[*]... I'm starting to rely on doing cg-fetch and 
running git-merge.sh by hand.

* I just merged your latest fixes, knowing that they'd conflict on 
cg-fetch, but the merge didn't say a thing a bout cg-fetch, and only 
complained like this:

    MERGE ERROR: : Not handling case  ->  ->

But there were no conflicts at all in the tree! It seems to be that it's 
dropping the upstream changes it doesn't like.

cheers,

martin
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/           PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
OFFICE: +64(4)916-7224                              MOB: +64(21)364-017
       Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein
-----------------------------------------------------------------------