Subject: Re: [RFC] GIT paths

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:53:06 -0700

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>>
>>  - Over a git-daemon connection, supporting ~user expansion
>>    makes sense.  E.g git://host.xz/~junio/ refers to my home
>>    directory on that machine.  It would make it impossible to
>>    have a directory literally named '~junio' directly underneath
>>    the root directory, but that is a good limitation anyway.
>>
> 
> I like this idea, although I'd extend it with a Userdir-like config 
> option in git-daemon (like ~/public_html for apache). This makes it a 
> bit easier to see what's published and what isn't.
> 

I've found that whenever one does a network daemon which exports paths, 
sooner or later one wants namespace management.  In Linux, of course, 
there are a lot more tricks one can play to actually create the 
namespace one wants in the filesystem (although it's complicated by 
needing to have an exec-worthy environment.)

It might be worth to consider creating a library to do this.

	-hpa