Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 0.99.9g

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:17:07 -0800

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>>
>> It's nice in concept, but I think there are a lot of reasons why this 
>> is a bad idea:
>>
>> - "man" doesn't handle it.  It would be another thing if "man" could 
>> be taught to understand commands like "man cvs checkout" or "man git 
>> fetch".
> 
> This is moot. man-pages can still be named git-fetch.
> 

Yes, of course, but that requires the user to be aware of yet another 
program-specific convention.  I do believe that supporting hierarchial 
man pages would be a good thing, but one has to start that in the proper 
point.

>> - There is no general way to teach shells etc about it, for tab 
>> completion etc.
> 
> Add the lib directory to the path (for git-<tab><tab>) or have it 
> auto-evaluate the result of a git command-listing.

... which means the end user has to do something specific to their 
environment.

All in all, I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

	-hpa