Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Add expat and expat-devel dependencies (for http-push) to RPM spec.

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:57:12 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
>>git-email; This one only uses Email::Valid->address(), so I'll import 
>>that function from the perl module so this dependency can be dropped and 
>>git-send-email can be in the 'git' package.
> 
> 
> Hmph.  This should have occurred to somebody when we did the same
> with subprocess.py, but obviously it went unnoticed.
> 

Apparently it's not so easy. The Email::Valid thing contains a regex 
some 5000 chars long. I personally think it's a fair bit overkill for 
the purpose of send-email so we could well do with a much simpler 
verification.

> 
>>Programs introducing obscene or plain weird dependencies (cvsimport, 
>>svnimport) can be put into their own package, but we should really try 
>>to keep those extra packages to a minimum and simply force users who 
>>want all the fluffy niceties of the 'git' package to install whatever's 
>>required (or install with --nodeps, or from source, or...).
> 
> 
> I am not so sure about that.  Why should the number of packages
> matter?

Because it's a nuisance to keep track of them.

>  We could argue that the current splitting of RPM
> packages is half-done in that sense --- we lack the "tying
> together" package which itself is empty but depends on
> subpackages that implements common client-side.  Call that
> git-scm (or "git") and have the end users install it, then it
> would pull what it depends on along with it.  No?
> 

Isn't this exactly what I suggested (apart from git-scm)? client-side 
stuff goes in "git", basic functionality (server side stuff) in git-core 
and git-* for special functionality introducing odd dependencies (cvs, 
svn, http).

Since all packages would require git-core we can tack everything that 
doesn't require anything special in there and server-side installs will 
be smooth as you please.

This change should be done before 1.0 though, since people will probably 
expect some sort of package naming stability later.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231