Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-core-foo -> git-foo, except the core package

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:16:50 -0800

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On 11/15/05, H. Peter Anvin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>This patch renames the tarball "git" rather than "git-core", and changes
>>the names of various packages from git-core-foo to git-foo.  git-core is
>>still the true core package; an empty RPM package named "git" pulls in
>>ALL the git packages -- this makes updates work correctly, and allows
>>"yum install git" to do the obvious thing.
> 
> What about "yum remove git" ?  I don't think that will work quite so
> well.  The "git" package will be removed just fine since nothing
> depends on it, but git-<foo> will still remain.  Maybe not that big of
> a deal, but it might not be obvious to some.

True.  If you have a solution to that, I'd love to hear it.  Note that 
having the core package depend on everything else is not acceptable.

> Also, what about http://www.gnu.org/software/git/git.html ?  I seem to
> recall that was the reason the name git-core was used in the first
> place.

It's changing its name to "gitfm".

	-hpa