Subject: Re: recent patch breaks the build ?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:18:06 +0100

Andrew Wozniak wrote:
> Yes, that suggestion worked - it is similar to other code fragments and 
> ifdefs within the same file.
> 
> Unfortunately, now there are other failures:
> 
> gcc -o http-push.o -c -g -O2 -Wall -DSHA1_HEADER='<openssl/sha.h>' 
> http-push.c
> http-push.c: In function `start_mkcol':
> http-push.c:479: `CURLOPT_HTTPGET' undeclared (first use in this function)
> 

....

> I grep'd for these defines and they are nowhere to be found!  Is some 
> other package needed to resolve these undefines on my RH7.2 build host?
> 

curl and curl-devel. Or you can build with

	make NO_CURL=YesPlease

which just means you won't have http and https transports available. 
This shouldn't be much of a problem on a server though.

> I'm really surprised that the unmodified tarball source fails to build. 
> Just curious, is the git project rebuilt on a "nightly" basis to verify 
> recent patches?
> 

I have no idea, but since it's a developer tool in pre-1.0 I think the 
general consensus is that user-friendliness in the build-process comes 
somewhere between "not so important" and "what? users? oh, those living 
in the *other* land!"

Perhaps you should try the RPM's at 
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/ ?

If nothing else it will tell you what other packages you need.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231