Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] git --help COMMAND brings up the git-COMMAND man-page., take two

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 13:53:35 -0800

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>The way this made it into the actual tree was to call /usr/bin/man, but 
>>still using execlp().  This is clearly bogus.  There *ARE* good reasons 
>>to use PATH resolutions for this, since man is one of the interactive 
>>commands the user may want to wrapper.
> 
> Oh, that was my call, so please do not blame Andreas.
> I just sent out a proposed patch to address all the points
> discussed on the list for the last several hours.
> 

FWIW, I rarely blame people for bad code; *everyone* does something 
stupid every now and then, and for most of us, far more often than that. 
  "This piece of code is stupid" != "the author of this piece of code is 
stupid", a distinction which unfortunately often gets lost.

I say "rarely", because there are of course a small number of people who 
*consistently* produce crap.  However, even they occationally produce 
something useful -- it's just not that often, and one has to carefully 
review it first.  With sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine[*], and 
heck, even RBJ even occationally says something correct.

	-hpa

[*] It is, however, not necessarily a good idea.  It can be dangerous 
for the people on the ground, and annoys the pig.