Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:42:16 +0100

Ed Tomlinson wrote:
> On Thursday 24 November 2005 14:52, Nick Hengeveld wrote:
> 
>>On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 10:37:15AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I just repacked and updated it now, so how http should work too, although 
>>>inefficiently (because it will get a whole new pack - just one of the 
>>>disadvantages of the non-native protocols).
>>
>>There's room to improve on that particular inefficiency.  The http
>>commit walker could use Range: headers to fetch loose objects directly
>>from inside a pack if it didn't make sense to fetch the entire pack.
>>For this to work, pack fetches would need to be deferred until the
>>entire tree had been walked, and the commit walker could decide whether
>>to fetch the pack or loose objects based on the percentage of packed
>>objects it needed to fetch.  It would also need to fetch all
>>tag/commit/tree objects using ranges to be able to fully walk the tree.
> 
> 
> Alternately, when creating a new archive the client could ask the server
> what protocols are active.  It could then use the best one for the clone and
> update the .git/origin files with the optimal one for incremental pulls.
> 

This would only work with the git protocol, and since that's the fastest 
protocol (theoretically that is, Pasky seems to have gotten other 
figures but I'm not sure I believe those) it should really only ever 
return itself which wouldn't make much sense.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231