Subject: Re: git-send-mail in sh

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:59:07 +0100

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>>It's worse than the perl version because;
>>1. It doesn't thread the patch-series (which I personally prefer anyway 
>>since it's easier to follow a thread on a particular patch that way).
> 
> 
> Not so great.  Why is it so much more difficult to have one more level
> of nesting?  It's annoying, but it's a lot less annoying than having 19
> separate threads that are all, in fact, related to each other.
> 

I am of the opinion that nesting is bad because some patches get a few 
comments while some others get them in droves. It's easy to miss those 
with few if they're all nested. As for finding them, all the threads 
should show up next to each other since there's practically no delay 
between sending them.

As for implementation, I don't think most "mail" programs have the 
functionality necessary to do so (dunno though since I didn't investigate).

> 
>>2. The patches sent within the same second arrive in random order.
> 
> 
> Perhaps adding a 'sleep 1' would help?  (The delay may be unacceptable
> to some people, though.)
> 

I thought about that, but decided against it.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231