Subject: Re: git-send-mail in sh

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:04:21 +0100

Ryan Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 10:45:41AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> 
>>Finally giving up on git-send-email (I won't install the 6 perl-modules 
>>it requires and I don't know perl enough to remove the need for them), I 
>>hacked up a replacement in sh. It's more aptly named as well. ;)
> 
> 
> Scanning the list, 2 are related to option handling (one of which is
> builtin), one isn't used (Data::Dumper), and two are related to sending
> valid emails.

When I try to install Email::Valid (using apt) it wants an additional 
two modules. Mail::Sendmail wants one other, so that's Data::Dumper, the 
two actually used and the three those two use. Six, for short.

> The email address verification is ridiculously hard to get
> correct, so using pre-written code for that seemed justified.
> 

But it isn't necessary to validate it to such exactness. Nothing worse 
will happen than the user chiding himself for his butterfingers if 
he/she makes a mistake.

Besides, I think typos are by far the most common error. Those are 
usually valid email addresses while still not being correct.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231